        From:  John Woodgate [SMTP:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
        Sent:  Thursday, August 16, 2001 4:41 PM
        To:  emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:  Re: Testing for the EMC directive

        I read in !emc-pstc that wo...@sensormatic.com wrote (in
<EDFA411E5E4AD2
        118D6F00A0C99E4BAC0386B0B5@FLBOCEXU02>) about 'Testing for the EMC
        directive', on Thu, 16 Aug 2001:
        >It is confusing. Yes, the scope of EN 55014-2 does say it applies
        >equipment even if it contains electronic circuits. But the scope of
EN
        >55014-1 says that the present standard applies "unless the rf
energy is
        >intentionally generated".

        That means 'intentionally to USE the r.f.'. In that case, EN55011
        applies, not EN55022.

        >The scope goes on to say that the separate parts
        >of the equipment such as motors and switching devices are subject
to EN
        >55014-1. Thus, equipment with motors / switching devices are
subject to EN
        >55014-1 and the rf circuits are subject to EN 55022

        EN55022 DOES NOT apply. A battery charger is not within its scope.
This
        point was settled officially (but, one would have thought,
        unnecessarily) a long time ago. The Irish standards body asked
CENELEC
        whether a washing machine containing a microprocessor was ITE or
not.
        The official answer was that 'Function determines the applicable
        standard. A washing machine is a washing machine and the standards
for
        washing machines [which happen to be EN55014-1-and -2] apply.'

        > and the complete device
        >is subject to EN55014-2. I guess one could argue that it is
sufficient to
        >reference EN 55014-1 and EN55022 on the DoC instead of EN 50081-1.
Either
        >way works for me since EN 50081-1 just points to the other
documents.

http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk
        Eat mink and be dreary!

            http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"