I read in !emc-pstc that Hare, Paul <ph...@pirus.com> wrote (in
<200108162322.f7gnm8304...@gemini2.ieee.org>) about 'FCC rule
interpretation (add'l info)', on Thu, 16 Aug 2001:
>    As a side note, I've seen an FCC application where the second harmonic of
>    the device was measured and reported to be at the limit (i.e. 54 dBuV/m).
>    Since the second harmonic was the closest to the limit,
>    the transmitter's power had been increased  to a point at which there was
>    zero margin (questionable philosophy considering manufacturing
>    variabilities, I know).  The limit is the limit, right??  Unfortunately,
> 54
>    dBuV/m is technically greater than 500 uV/m and the FCC wouldn't certify
> the
>    device.

A situation that discredits both parties. Squeezing up to an EMC limit
is highly unwise, but 54 dB(uV/m) is 501.1872366... uV/m. Can we assume
that the FCC can measure that precisely?

In Europe, the limits are specified in dB(uV/m), but no-one has been
daft enough to propose limits like 53.9790009... dB(uV/m).
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. http://www.jmwa.demon.co..uk
Eat mink and be dreary!