Along the lines of "EMI sensitive paper"...

There is such a thing for viewing magnetic fields, funnily enough.  Its
called "Magnetic Viewing Paper" and McMaster Carr has it for $14.22 for 27
square inches, p/n 5702K21.  When the paper is laid over magnets, the paper
shows the outline and shape of the field lines.  Its handy for checking
magnet assemblies for motors, and I have seen it used for this purpose.

Another interesting paper is the new "electronic paper" being developed for
electronic books.  Embedded in the construction of the paper are millions of
tiny spheres.  Half of each sphere is black, half white.  The spheres are
aligned during the "printing" process with magnetic fields to show light or
dark areas.  There were photos and an article in the new issue of one of the
free design rags that pile up on my desk.

And don't forget that X-rays have been used to expose film for over 100
years.

Sounds like we're "just" missing something sensitive to the portion of the
spectrum between DC and X-rays! ;-)

-Andy

Andrew Veit
Systems Design Engineer