Hi John:

>   >    This came up at IEC TC74 WG8 and was the object of several
>   >    proposals. We could come to no agreement about whether Class III
>   >    included TNV, earth connections, internally generated voltages of
>   >    assorted energies, etc., so we dropped the subject. It plays no
>   >    part in the safety requirements of  IEC 60950, so resolving the
>   >    issue was unimportant. There is a definition which you may use for
>   >    what purposes you like, but it will serve mainly as a concept, not
>   >    a requirement.
>   >
>   The definition of Class III is not the responsibility of the self-
>   appointed rulers of the Universe, sorry, I mean IEC TC74, corporately,
>   not individually. It is the responsibility of TC64. See IEC 61140.

Thank you for the reference to IEC 61140.

According to IEC 61140:

    Class III equipment is "equipment relying on
    limitation of voltage to ELV as provision for
    basic protection, and with no provision for
    fault protection."

While battery-operated equipment would nominally
be Class III, most laptop computers would not be
Class III due to the backlight voltage exceeding
ELV.

Furthermore, according to IEC 61140, such laptop
computers would be Class II.

I agree with Robert Johnson that these classes
serve mainly as a concept, and that the safety
requirements are largely independent of equipment
class.

My argument with the equipment class concept is
that few equipment are truly fit one of the
classes.  I prefere to replace the word equipment
with the word circuit.  Now, I can apply the
different class concepts to various parts of my
equipment and accomplish the safety design.

Best regards,
Rich