Hi Peter:

>   For back-up power supply connections to a device which has means for
>   connection to a floating dc input of 44-57 Vdc / 15 A max (to serve as
>   back-up source for the internal power over LAN source), what is the proper
>   way of marking with symbols to IEC60417

Does the power-consuming device REQUIRE the source
to be floating?

If yes, then I don't believe there is any suitable
symbol in IEC 60417.  I believe you will have to
design a suitable marking indicating that the source
must have NO connection to earth.  Furthermore, I
would guess that you would need to specify a minimum
source-to-earth impedance.

I believe this source requirement to be highly unusual.

I suspect what you mean is that the supply circuit in
the device is floating (which is the typical case).
If this is the situation, then there is no need to
so identify it as this is a design that will tolerate
any source configuration (i.e., negative pole is
grounded, or postive pole is grounded, or neither pole
is grounded).

>   2) To specify that it is a back-up source of supply (vs. primary source of
>   supply).

Again, I don't believe there is any IEC symbol that
represents the terminals as being for connection to
a back-up source of supply.

Your situation is opposite that of the conventional
situation.  The conventional situation is where the
external source of supply is the normal supply, and
the internally-derived source of supply is the back-
up.  In your case, the internally-derived (LAN) is
the normal source of supply, and the external source
of supply is the back-up.

For your product, the back-up terminals should be
suitably marked with rating markings.  However,
connection of the terminals to a source of supply is
optional as the connection is for a back-up source
of supply.

Identification of the terminals and their connection
for back-up purposes can be by text on the product
itself, or in the installation instructions.

Best regards,
Rich