Building on Hans' comments, I would like to add that all launchers of EM
radiation start out as primarily either high impedance emitters (primarily
an E-field; a voltage on a dipole) or low impedance emitters (primarily an
H-field; a current in a loop). As you move away from the launcher structure,
the field begins to "normalize", with energy distributed in both the E & H
fields. At some distance, you will find that the ratio of the E-field
strength to the H-field strength is 377 ohms. (Volts per meter divided by
amps per meter simplifies to volts/amps, which is ohms. It's the law.) This
is the far field transition point, and is usually about 3 wavelengths out
from the emitter structure.

At 1 GHz, a wavelength is about 30 centimeters. If your shield (with an
aperture) is located only 1 cm away from the radiating structure, then you
are very much in the near field.

You might want to look at Volume 3 of the White EMC Handbook series,
Electromagnetic Shielding, by Don White & Mike Mardiguian. (My copy is dated
1988, so there is probably a newer addition available. I think I heard that
it was available on CD ROM.)

Their Equation 1.15 develops a wave impedance for a pure electric field, at
1 GHz, at a separation distance of 1 cm, as 1800 ohms. This is about 477%
higher than the plane wave 377 ohm impedance. (If your source was magnetic,
then the wave impedance would be about 80 ohms, which is 21% of the plane
wave Z.)

Section 2.1 of the book then goes on to explore performance of shielding
materials, with Section 2.1.5 dealing with screens and holes and slots. If
I'm reading their Equations 2.14 & 2.15 correctly, then a barrier shielding
effectiveness will be plane wave SE times the wave impedance ratio. So, for
an electric field, the E-field SE would be 4.77 x the plane wave SE. The
H-field SE would be 0.21 x the plane wave SE.

Using this logic, you could then extend the various formulas and guides for
different shapes of apertures by just multiplying the wave impedance ratio
times the plane wave SE. That sounds intuitively right to me (although this
tough math always gives me a headache).

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis