John Cronin wrote:

> Hi Group
>
> This is a question regarding a plug in PC card that has been stated
> as FCC compliant which is inserted in a PC that is also stated to
> be FCC compliant and the emissions are found to actually exceed
> the FCC limits.

I work with this type of issue all the time.  In fact, if I didn't
have to work with this type of issue, half my job would be
non-existant ...  <grin>

> What is the responsibility of the manufacturer who is intending to
> place this on the market as a functional unit?  Are they liable for
> the overall unit

Yes.

> or can they sell on the basis that it comprises FCC compliant sub
> assemblies, albeit evidently originally tested in different
configurations.

No.

> If they are liable, how can anyone sell any PC/PC card combination
> considering that the card could have originally been tested in a so
> called golden PC.

Very good question.  The counter argument is that variability
of constructions in end products in which the cards are used
is so large that only some representative construction is used
for the original approval.  It would be impossible for a mfr of
said card to make some blanket statement that said card can
in fact be <such and such> in *any* type of PC construction.

- Doug McKean