Martin,

The best design method in case of a mains ground failure is to design your
equipment to meet double or reinforced insulation throughout. That means
your equipment will still be considered a Class I product but you have
designed it to meet the more stringent requirements for double or reinforced
insulation to the normally reliably earthed parts.

For your info, some Class I switching power supplies meet the double or
reinforced insulation between primary and earth and between primary and SELV
circuitry.

Please also be advised that some Nordic countries customers may require you
to design your Class I equipment to meet the double or reinforced insulation
requirements between parts where normally basic insulation is all that is
required.

PETER S. MERGUERIAN
Technical Director
I.T.L. (Product Testing) Ltd.
26 Hacharoshet St., POB 211
Or Yehuda 60251, Israel
Tel: + 972-(0)3-5339022  Fax: + 972-(0)3-5339019
Mobile: + 972-(0)54-838175