Joe,

It may be possible for permanently connected equipment to have a second
connection to earth, but for equipment connected to the mains supply via a
plug, it does not seem feasible to have a second connection to earth. I do
not believe that this a solution that the standards or electrical codes
would accept.

A Class 1 product depends on basic insulation and earthing for its
electrical safety. The design of the product must be such that when the
earth connection is removed it still does not present a safety hazard, in
accordance with the single fault requirements of the relevant safety
standard.

When the earth connection is broken, the most acute problem is likely to be
the touch current or leakage current from the product's enclosure.
Generally, the problem is solved by ensuring that the design of the power
supply and associated circuitry limits this current to acceptable values,
rather than by adding a second earth connection.

Best Wishes,

Jon Griver
http://www.601help.com
The Medical Device Developers' Guide to IEC 60601-1