Greetings Joe and everyone,
  I can't speak for lab equipment, but I know that for UL 1950 (EN
60950/ IEC 950) my former employer  (a recent NRTL who works/worked
closely with the biggest) would always test with the mains switch both
on and off.  If you think about it, it makes sense to test with the
mains switch off.  Are you more likely to unplug a product that is on,
or are you going to turn it off first?  As you noticed, the mains
capacitors do take longer to decay when the power switch is off.  For
this reason, I would have to side with the NRTL Engineer in question
here - even if I am now working on the industry side of things.

Dave Heald