In the UK, what scope does a Trading Standards Officer have with regard
to inspecting compliance with European Directives?  (LVD & EMC)

As I understand it, they can inspect the evidence to support a DoC and
samples of equipment have to be made available for them if they wish.
Can they inspect any equipment and related documentation manufactured and
made available for sale, professional and non-professional equipment,
bearing CE marking?
Are they entitled to inspect the manufacturing process?

I am curious and would appreciate any experiences or comments either on the
mailing list or off list.

Thank you,
Enci.