From:   Scott Barrows [mailto:sbarr...@curtis-straus.com]
Sent:   Friday, April 27, 2001 12:41 PM
To:     Rick Linford
Cc:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        Re: EN60950 (UL1950, IEC 60950) On off switch marking.

Hi,
If the switch is being used as the disconnect device it needs to
disconnect
both poles simultaneously (2.6.6). 1.7.8.3 only refers to on and off
indications of the equipment.

So I guess I need to know if the switch is being used as a disconnect or
just to turn the machine on and off.

Scott Barrows
Curtis Straus LLC

Rick Linford wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When a switch opens only one leg of  the mains to control power to
> equipment should it be marked with the "l" and "O"?
>
> Background:
>
> Three different engineers from three different NRTLs indicated it is
> permitted, two even required it. A different engineer for one of the
> NRTLs and two other respected individuals indicate it is prohibited.
It