  From: Bill Owsley [mailto:ows...@cisco.com]
  Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 2:32 PM
  To: John Shinn; 'Reginald Henry'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
  Subject: RE: RJ45 filtered connector

  so if we called it an RJ-48C, would that be better ??

  At 04:56 PM 12/20/2001 , John Shinn wrote:

    Although it may suprise some, and I may get flak, but
    an RJ45 connector is an specific configuration used
    exclusively for a programmable data connection.  It
    has a specific wiring configuration.  The "RJ"
    stands for Registered Jack.  This is an FCC designation
    of that specific configuration.

    There is nothing against using an 8-pin modular plug/jack
    for 10Base-Tor 100Base-T, or even microphone inputs
    to my Ham radio, but do not call it a RJ45.

    Now, yes, there are several vendors that produce shielded and
    filtered 8-pin modular jacks.  I remember using them and
    working with several vendors a few years ago, but I would
    suggest you look at the website or catalogs of the major
    connector suppliers.

    John Shinn, P.E.
    Manager, Lab. Operations.
    Sanmina-SCI