Hi Muriel , group,

What a filter tries to do is to create a short circuit routing for the EMI
current back to the source. Therefore, filtering just the mains side  to
ground will annihilate it's radiation potential (relative to enclosure), but
somewhere else potential will rise. This might very well be another cable
leaving the enclosure. Therefore filtering the second cable will also become
necessary in order to prevent "the balloon from popping out".

This is what happens all the time when reducing EMI by adding filters and
other techniques. Only when the last exit port is filtered (for conducted),
the EMI reduces significantly. It does not necessarily mean that the last
port fixed had the highest
contribution to the EMI; it was because it was the latest fixed.

In this final situation we try to create a situation where the EMI current
source is short circuited by an external circuit of caps/ground planes, and
all cable exit points are of equal EMI potential: that of the enclosure
ground plane.

The EMI current source (or voltage source) is often placed in the GND
circuit on a PCB where input and output are not essentially at the same
ground potential due to RF current flowing into this ground trace; i.e.
input and output are physically separated.

Once the short circuit (filter - enclosure - filter) is created the energy
will dissipate in the loop:

EMI source - gnd trace - cable to filter - caps - enclosure gnd plane - caps
of other filter - cable to PCB input - gnd trace on PCB - EMI source

Voltage levels in general are low <10 mV, current may be relatively high
(sometimes up to 100 mA).
This is due to the low impedance of the loop described. By strategically
placement of
impedance this current may be reduced and the voltage drop over the outer
surface of the enclosure may be minimized, at the cost of a higher voltage
drop between sides of the PCB ground trace. This voltage is in general also
partially present in series with both input and output signal (draw the loop
above) and it may have a negative impact on signal integrity.

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/