I read in !emc-pstc that Muriel Bittencourt de Liz <mur...@eel.ufsc.br>
wrote (in <200112031759.aa1191510...@server-eel.eel.ufsc.br>) about
'physics behind EMI powerline filter', on Mon, 3 Dec 2001:

>Hello Group,
>
>I have a "long-time" question, concerning the energy issues in a EMI powerline
>filter.
>
>I'll put a case, and ask the question after.
>
>This is the case:
>
>- When trying to minimize the conducted emissions from a electrical equipment
>/
>circuit, one of the things to do is to put a EMI filter at the power entrance.
>This filter can be from a manufacturer (ready filter) or you can make one
>(with
>common mode inductors, capacitors, inductors).
>
>This are the questions (they arearelated, i.e., complete each other):
>
>- What, physically speaking, happens to the EMI energy that leaves the
>equipment
>when I add a filter??? When there is no filter, I understand that the energy
>goes to the mains?? Does the filter reflect the EMI energy, keeping it
>"arrested" inside the equipment?

Some is dissipated in resistive losses in the filter, some is indeed
reflected back into the equipment, where it is also eventually
dissipated in resistive losses.

>- Thinking under the light of the principle of energy conservation, what
>happens
>to the EMI energy when I add a filter?? It cannot be lost...
>
>- ... And, supposing that the energy keeps arrested inside the equipment,
>isn't
>it worse for radiated emissions?? i.e., it can increase the level of radiated
>emissions??

That might occur, but generally conducted emissions are stronger at low
radio frequencies, which are not radiated efficiently because the
equipment is physically smaller than a half-wavelength.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.