Hello Rocky,

It could very well be that most (if not all) floppy drives have been
certified and are labeled with an FCC ID (There probably haven't been any
improvements in floppy drives that would warrant a recent new design).  Do
you see an FCC ID number on the product?  TEAC's registration number is:
DX9 or BPT (these are the first three digits of the FCC ID).

If I understand 47 CFR 15.101 correctly, you may combine certified and DoC
components to make up your system.  I would recommend calling the FCC's OET
office to find out if they have published any guidance letters that would
clarify the requirements and confirm whether or not you may mix certified
and DoC components.  I seem to remember when this first was established that
you could not mix certified and DoC, but I cannot find anything concrete in
the rules that does not allow it.  The information on certified components
can be collected from the FCC's website if you know the FCC ID number.

It states that in 15.101(e) that if you receive a component from a
manufacturer for "further fabrication", it is your responsibility to perform
system testing.

For those not familiar with this marketing/labeling scheme.  The FCC allows
the marketing of a computer system assembled from tested components that
bear the FCC mark.  In this case, FCC + FCC = FCC.  The required label
indicates that the system has not been tested together.

Hope this helps,

Michael Peters

> All,
>         Has anyone successfully issued a DOC using the "assembled from
tested components" method for a personal computer?  I have not been able to
find a floppy disk drive manufacturer that has any DOC documentation for
their device; even the ones marketing directly to home users.  Have I just
not found the right manufacturer?