I hope that I don't lead the thread off on a tangent...but a similar problem is
being encountered by those who envision magnetically levitated flywheel powered
electric cars.  (By the way, the flywheel is levitated, not the car)

A well designed flywheel system can store electricity with a better weight to
energy ratio of currently available batteries...But.

In order to do so with a lightweight flywheel (about 50 pounds); the flywheel
needs to spin up to something like 100,000 rpm.  They are testing composite
materials (graphite, kevlar...) and the testing has led to some spectacular
failures with shredded flywheel all over the place.

The other problem is...how do you contain these babies if the car has an
accident.  Just imagine a wreck that produces a bunch of 50lb buzz saws
bouncing around the intersection...it wouldn't be pretty.

As far as CD's...maybe everyone should just listen to George Jones... or
something else that is slow enough to keep he speed safe :-)

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |