Hi Ken, Group,

As I present courses on EMC in the Netherlands,
I have this demo-box with me. It consists of a welded
rust free steel box with a clamp tightened cover.
The joints have EMC fingers in perfect state.
For miscellaneous experiments 5  6 mm (0.2")
holes are drilled in it.

When I teach them about shielding I put my cellular in the
box and ask one of the guys to call it. Great Surprise:
it rings. Now I close all holes but one. It rings.
Then I close the last one. It stops. The
Dutch GSM provider sends at 1800 Mhz.
If I considered a 10th of a wavelength for shielding,
then I could allow for 16 mm. I have adjusted
my lessons since then to adjust for this experiment
and tell them that shielding only starts at
 1/20th of a wave length.

This was especially fun when I had these guys of Phoenix
and other enclosure manufacturers in my Class. They
are selling those 6 feet high 19"wide process
controller enclosures to the industry having as "EMC cabinets"
but they do not have a bottom in it to allow for cables to run.
(they provide an earth rail, though)

Regards,

Gert Gremmen, (Ing)

ce-test, qualified testing

Web presence  http://www.cetest.nl
CE-shop http://www.cetest.nl/ce_shop.htm
/-/ Compliance testing is our core business /-/