I'd like to add a few comments about paths and victim circuits.

The externally applied RF field may have more than one path into the EUT.
Let's assume you have just two paths; one via a powerline that's equipped
with a modest filter, and another that is a radiated path through
ventilation slots.

The first path may allow energy between 30 MHz and 100 MHz to get to the EUT
circuitry, but becomes a very lossy path above 100 MHz. The second path is
very lossy below 2 GHz, but allows everything above that to get through.

If you only tested for immunity up to 1 GHz, you would never know the second
path existed. Any predictions about immunity performance of the entire EUT
at 3 GHz would be misleading, since they would have been based only on
observations of the performance of the first path.

Now let's consider the victim circuitry. The electronics of the EUT are
actually a large collection of tiny "victims", each with its own unique
level of upset. If your EUT withstands everything up to 1 GHz without
malfunction, that's still no guaranty that some collection of circuit traces
and components will not have a resonance at 1.8 GHz, creating an upset
condition.

My point is that you can make decent predictions only if you know all the
paths and all the victims. I have found that most real devices are so
complex that performance predictions are wildly inaccurate. Rigorous testing
is the only way to be sure.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis