    From: Pettit, Ghery <ghery.pet...@intel.com>
    To: 'James Collum' <james.col...@usa.alcatel.com>;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
    Date: Thursday, January 03, 2002 11:46 AM
    Subject: RE: EMC-related safety issues

    I still have a hard time believing it was a compass that was affected by
a laptop computer.  ADF indication, could be.  VOR, maybe.  Magnetic
compass?  I wouldn't want a magnetic source that strong in my lap!  My belt
buckle would be stuck to it.  There is quite a distance between a magnetic
compass in the cockpit of an airliner and anything a passenger is carrying.
Not so in a Cessna 172, but in a DC-10?

    Ghery Pettit