From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Gary McInturff
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 1:24 PM
To: brian_ku...@leco.com; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: ReIssue: RE: When CE doesn't pass

-----Original Message-----
From: brian_ku...@leco.com [mailto:brian_ku...@leco.com]
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 9:29 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: ReIssue: RE: When CE doesn't pass

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier email.  After reading the
replies, I wanted to rephrase and clarify our situation to see if it
matters.

We design, manufacture, and market stand-a-lone Product A.  But some of our
customers want a complete turn-key system.  So we purchase and re-sell
Products
B, C, and D. Each are individually marketed by their manufacturer and has
the CE
marking.  We sell and setup this turn-key system for our customers.  This
might
be seen as CE+CE+CE+CE should equal CE.

Our company always wants to do what's right, so we test this turn-key system
for
CE.  During the EMC testing, Product D causes the system to fail.
Additional
investigation finds that Product D fails all by itself, independent of the
rest
of the system.  When the manufacturer of Product D is contacted, they reply
with, "it passes when we test it".  Another problem is that we do not have
enough buying power to force them to look into the problem and threatening
them
with turning them in won't help us ship product.

Is there any train of thought, loophole,  or documentation trail that will
allow
us to market and sell this turn-key system?  How do we become liable for a
CE
labeled product that someone else's makes?   I know we don't want to sell a
non-compliant system, but what are we to do?

Some suggest fixing the product yourself.  If it can't be done externally,
as
soon as we open up the unit  don't we become responsible for it including
safety?  I don't think we want to do that.

Thanks to all again,
Brian Kunde
LECO

tc mailing list"