From:   Mark Schmidt
Sent:   Monday, July 22, 2002 8:46 AM
To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        IEC60320

Is anyone familiar with IEC60320? We use an AC input module that
includes a power switch and fuse holder. The fuse holder is a separate
piece that is inserted in the module it also allowed storage for a spare
fuse. In our product we shipped them with a spare fuse in order to
benefit the customer in case they needed it. The intent was that in case
they did blow the fuse that they would have an identical and properly
rated replacement fuse available to them. This would hopefully eliminate
or reduce the risk of putting an improperly rated fuse in the module.

I received a letter from the manufacturer indicating that the design
change was made in order to comply with IEC60320. It seems to me that we
have now introduced a additional risk, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Any comments?

Mark Schmidt
Regulatory Compliance
X-Rite Incorporated