From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Gabi Hoffknecht
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 11:33 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Using PCB traces as transient voltage suppressor

Hi all,

I have seen PCB designs with two triangular shaped copper pads pointed
towards each other at very close proximity, meant as an air gap discharge
path for transients. Does anyone have information about such designs,
whether they work and how well ? At a breakdown voltage for air of 1
Megavolt per meter, they should theoretically work: 10mil distance would
have a breakdown voltage of only 254V. Such a PCB design basically comes for
free, so I was thinking of adding it on top of my already existing series
impedance - TVS network.
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards,
Gabi Hoffknecht