>   A good source is http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
>   <http://kropla.com/electric2.htm> .
>
>   According to that site:
>   Japan        100V    50/60 Hz*
>
>   *Eastern Japan 50 Hz (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohoma, and Sendai)
>   *Western Japan 60 Hz (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima)

According to a history told to me by a GE old-timer...

Japan has two frequencies because, in the early days
of electric power in Japan, Western Japan bought its
first generator from General Electric (60 Hz), and
Eastern Japan bought its first generator from Russia
(50 Hz).

So, this is an easy way to remember what part of the
country is 60 Hz and what part is 50 Hz:

    The western part is closest to North America (60 Hz),

and

    the eastern part is closest to Russia (50 Hz).

(However, the cities listed above seem to be in the
opposite parts of Japan than as listed.)

Best regards,
Rich