Thanks to Enci, and the link he provided, I have my answer, and perhaps it
will cut through some of the semantics discussion, by introducing the one
term that seems to really count in discussing the standards route:
"presumption of conformity".

The New Approach guideline seems pretty clear:  a standard is NOT considered
to provide a presumption of conformity until it has been published in the
OJ.

That tells us 2 things:

1. Until it is published in the OJ it does not satisfy the standards route
to compliance.  You can use it but you're not within the bounds of the
standards route.

2. If a single standard applicable to your equipment is published in the OJ
without limitations, it provides presumption of conformity for your
equipment.  You do not need to use any other standard, even if others that
appear also to cover your equipment have been published in the OJ.

Comments?

Jim Eichner, P.Eng.
Manager, Engineering Services
Xantrex Technology Inc.