Hi Folks

To answer Jim's point:

LVD Annex IV "Internal Production Control" states:

1) Internal production control is the procedure whereby the manufacturer or
his authorized representative established within the Community, who carries
out the obligations laid down in point 2, ensures and declares that the
electrical equipment satisfies the requirements of this Directive that apply
to it. The manufacturer or his authorized representative established within
the Community must affix the CE marking to each product and draw up a
written declaration of conformity.

2) The manufacturer must establish the technical documentation described in
point 3 and he or his authorized representative established within the
Community must keep it on Community territory at the disposal of the
relevant national authorities for inspection purposes for a period ending at
least 10 years after the last product has been manufactured.

3) Technical documentation must enable the conformity of the electrical
equipment to the requirements of this Directive to be assessed. It must, as
far as relevant for such assessment, cover the design, manufacture and
operation of the electrical equipment. It must include:
a general description of the electrical equipment,

- conceptual design and manufacturing drawings and schemes of components,
sub-assemblies, circuits, etc.,

- descriptions and explanations necessary for the understanding of said
drawings and schemes and the operation of the electrical equipment,

- a list of the standards applied in full or in part, and descriptions of
the solutions adopted to satisfy the safety aspects of this Directive where
standards have not been applied,"
(and so on)

The last item clearly allows a solution that does not involve full - or even
partial compliance - with standards may be acceptable provided that it
satisfies the essential safety aspects of the Directive.

Thus strict compliance with harmonised standards is not obligatory under an
LVD self-declaration process.

However, bear in mind that compliance with harmonised standards does bring a
presumption of conformity - and most people would thus not stray far from
the standards route.

John Allen
Thales
Bracknell, UK