>Commission and it's national enforcing authorities do not want to be faced
>with the possibility of having chase 2(or even 3 or more under a multiple
>branding situation) companies over a non-compliance/safety situation. Thus -
>as far as Directives compliance is concerned - they want only 1 company to
>take the responsibility for each product.

But there's no way for them to ensure that.  From what I can tell, there's
nothing to stop several different different importers from importing the same
product and independently issuing their own declarations for it.  If the
product is found to be defective, all the importers of the product will
theoretically be responsible - although I have no idea how the authorities
might trace them.

Greg Galluccio
www.productapprovals.com