Hi Group,

So I went ahead and built a test PCB with my inductors and ferrites in PI
filter formation with capacitors - just like I threatened to do a few months
ago ( e-mail subject header "Designing for low power radiated and conducted
immunity" describing a small 3-wire low power DC pressure sensor).

The analog circuit simulating a pressure sensor is simply a 5V regulator
(LP2985) supplying a AD623 IN-amp monitoring the differential voltage across a
wheatstone bridge (4k7) connected to the same 5V rail. The output then
simply connects to an Avometer (through a PI filter of course). A variant of
the
test PCB doesn't even have the regulator. It is that simple.

I took the PCB through radiated immunity testing to EN 61000-4-3 and met
100V/m, and through conducted immunity testing to EN 61000-4-6 and met
the 10V level.  All tests were done with unscreened cable. I also proved the
protected circuit was susceptible when the filter was removed.

Having decided I had sized my inductors, ferrites and caps appropriately,
and done the PCB layout correctly, I then proceeded to add small SMT varistors
for transients to EN 61000-4-4. The test PCB was again good for 2kV. I
then shuffled the relative positions of the varistors in the circuit (initially
pre-
PI filter, then post PI filter ) and it didn't seem to make any difference. The
idea was to get some permutations of varistor location and then repeat the
RF immunity tests in case the varistors introduced susceptibility (an
observation I have made in the past).

I then took the varistors off the board altogether and still the PCB meets the
2kV stress levels ( I am using the levels of EN 61000-6-2 ). I am not
too keen to raise the stakes to 4kV just now because there are more tests
I would like to perform on the PCB before I let it go up in smoke.

This is probably the first time I have seen anything get through transients
testing without any explicit measures to mitigate against failure. Has anyone
experienced this? Is there an explanation for this?

I have always used varistors almost as a matter of course, so you can understand
my surprise.

Could it be I have "over-designed" my RF filter to the point it is good
enough for the EFTs as well? The caps are only rated for 50V though ( the
clamping
 voltages of the varistors).

Could it be the caps are in fact rated for such transients although this may not
be stated explicitly? Should I prolong the exposure of the varistor-free
circuit at
2kV to see if I am dealing with "delayed failure" potentially? I have been
setting
my burst duration to 1 minute.

Any pointers?

Regards