In the interests of my own credibility on the board (if I have any?) I should
wave the white flag of surrender and own up to having posted a nonsense message
on Oct 9th in response to the genuine request for information about creepage
limits.
For some inexplicable reason my 'funny bone' was tickled and I wrote and posted
the stuff about creepage and car batteries, copied below.

I offer my apologies to board members who have been inconvenienced by this
piece of tom foolery. In future I'll make it much clearer when sending a spoof
post.

As it happens the responses have been interesting, a testament to the
intelligence and good humor of the board.

Thank You

Ted Rook

copy of the spoof post:
This is because when you double the voltage the power is proportional to a
quarter of the current squared. In America the 120V power is at lower voltage
but the current is twice as much and so the creepage is twice as well.

Very high voltage circuits hardly creep at all whereas low voltages creep the
most. That is why you should never join the two negative terminals when you
jump start a car, the car battery charging circuits have so much creepage they
can melt the battery.

I though everybody knew that...........

end of copy