A good way to think about this, especially on a larger size board, is to imagine
a transmission line resonator. Assume for the moment that the shielding
enclosure and the board ground are tied together at one point. In this case, the
board will go resonant when the length of the board ground measured from the tie
point becomes 1/4 of a wavelenth. This is not that long of a distance at even a
low order harmonics of 100 MHz. All kinds of nasty things happen with such a
resonance, the worst being radiated/conducted emissions, though circuit
operation of sensitive nodes can be affected as well.

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA

David Heald <dhe...@tellium.com> on 10/11/2002 12:53:27 PM