Terne plated steel is cold-rolled steel that has a thick layer of 92% lead /
8% tin. I think the process is a continuous hot-dip technique, not
electro-plating. The lead/tin coating allows the steel to be deformed or
stamped without the coating breaking. The plating also lubricates the
forming equipment, allowing for less tool wear and more extreme formations
of the steel sheet. The most common use in the USA is the making of
vehicular fuel tanks. The terne coating provides an excellent barrier to
prevent the gasoline or diesel oil from contacting the steel.

All that said, I don't think terne is desirable for electronic work. The
high-lead alloy looks "dingy", and the lead rubs off onto your fingers.
Also, the process doesn't do anything for the cut edges of the steel sheet.
You would still have to use something like a folded joint (for mechanical
strength) and then reflow the plating in a soldering operation, to wet and
re-plate the exposed surfaces.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis