Nick,

To some degree, I beg to differ with your explanation,
particularly with the following:

"It is these national regulations that have direct force
of law on manufacturers, traders and users of equipment
in that member state. It is not a matter of crossing
boundaries into the EU or between member states, and not
a matter of it being just wise to meet the various
requirements. Wherever you are in the EU you will be
breaking a local national law if you do not."

For ITE, the EU requires compliance to the Low Voltage
and EMC Directives.  They have further listed harmonized
standards which are deemed sufficent to comply.  Under
the present process, a manufacturer can obtain a CB Report
of create a Technical Construction File to meet the LVD,
and take EMC data at an authorized test site to meet the
EMC Directive.

At that point the manufacturer can apply the CE marking,
and file a EU Declaration of Conformity within the EU.
Since this process was adopted by the EU, we have not
had a single EU member state ask to see either our DoC
or our background test data/reports.

So, there are no "national" regulations, but only the
EU regulations, which were designed to do away with the
many diveregent national regulations.  Again, the EU
"law" applies to member states, over which the EU has
some power.  There is no "law" pertaining to mfrs, but
the Directives as to what the member states are to do
to ensure "safe" products.  If a mfr manages to place a
product on the market that does not meet the LV or EMC
Directives, it is the member state which allowed entry
of the product that is held accountable.  Of course, a
mfr found doing this would have to remove the product
from the market and would have a hard time doing future
business in the EU.

George Alspaugh

"Nick Rouse" <nickjrouse%cs....@interlock.lexmark.com> on 03/22/2002 04:44:05 PM