Regarding Paschen's Law:

  http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/hvmain.htm
  http://home.earthlink.net/~jimlux/hv/paschen.htm

  Stephen

At 12:51 PM 3/15/2002, Doug McKean wrote:

I've done my own testing and researched the thing as well.
I think we've had some serious discussions here about this
subject in the past.  If the archives are available, it would
be beneficial to go through them. Also, get a little hipot
tester from any of the hipot mfrs for your own bench
testing.  That's highly educational as well as nipping
problems in the bud.

You'll first have to jump into Paschen's Law and all that
involves with pressure/humidity/geometry of the probe
tips used, etc ...

Basically, I start with  1Mv/meter STP and work down
from there.  Therefore, 1mm means 1Kv.  Now, throw
in a x2 safety factor and you get 2mm  spacing.  Now
increase to 1.5Kv and you end up with 2.5mm? Well, okay.
Surface contamination sets in over time? Well, okay again.
Obviously, I've been doing some extreme fudging, but it
ends up darn close most of the time.

Follow the standards when in any doubt.

I'm not really sure, but I was told many years ago that wire
mfrs use as much as a x7 safety factor for their insulation or
used to.

- Doug McKean