Humidity matters.

   Some years back, when doing some experiments
around this subject - I too was surprised at just how
much voltage different gaps could bear, such that the
standard seemed gross overkill.  But in a less than
purely scientific way, I decided to breath (just breath,
not blow) in the vicinity of the withstand, and got different
results.  It was winter (dry air), and my merely breathing
normally - within about a foot of the gap under test -
caused a 400V(DC) lower breakdown.  I know the
standard doesn't hold us to tight humidity spec's,
only pollution degree, but maybe the committee that
came up with this added enough margin to be sure
to always cover such issues.

  The geometry of the surface across which the potential
is laid matters too (curves, points, parallel planes....),
doesn't it.  Again, maybe the committee just added
guaranteed slop.

  There is no such thing as too safe.
  Stephen