Thanks everyone for your input.  And let me put everyone's fears at ease
by saying that this particular sample has been thoroughly abused in
environmental testing (including several unintentional & unfortunate
CONDENSING temp & humidity runs - ever look into a chamber and see what
looks like your product sitting in a cloud? Not fun).  Months and tests
later, the dirt or grime is easily visible on a lot of the mating
surfaces and is not at all present on new samples.  Unfortunately, an
entire new sample costs over $1M, so let's just say I'm not getting a
new one.
  And for the steel / Al concerns, the different metals are in different
sections so mating is not an issue, just the risk of corrosion if I
remove the protective coatings.

  So, I am simply trying to restore the sample to its original condition
(or as close as I can get to it).  I would never advocate sprucing up a
test sample just to pass a test.

  And it turns out we use nickel plate which should be quite durable.
Again, any comments from experience would be welcome, but my guys say
that I shouldn't have problems.

Thanks again!
Dave Heald