All,
  I'm preparing for an emissions test and I had started cleaning some of
my chassis mating surfaces with a pen/pencil eraser then alcohol to
ensure the surface to surface contact was good.  A friend then told me
that using an eraser would also remove the anti-corrosive coating that
was on the metal (Thanks Paul!).  So I would end up with a very short
term benefit, then rust.  What I am trying to determine is if maybe
light rubbing with a pencil eraser might only remove surface
contaminants and leave the metal and coatings intact. (the pencil eraser
is much less abrasive than the pen side)

So the real question is... Does anyone have direct good or bad
experience with the aftereffects of using a pencil eraser to clean
mating edges (card faceplates in a telco box for example)?  I have both
steel and aluminum surfaces to worry about so info for either type is
welcome.  (and don't worry the different metal types are not adjacent).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as the system is really dirty
right now.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Dave Heald