From: Gary McInturff [mailto:gary.mcintu...@worldwidepackets.com]
Sent: February 25, 2002 4:14 PM
To: Robert Wilson; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: PCB floating area layout

        Jeeez, I have just the opposite problem GROUNDING a PCB at a
certain location.
        The device is a metal enclosed digital device, about the size of
a video cassett tape. Its powered by one of those small AC/DC power
supplies like you have on your laptop computer.
         The DC power cable does have a shielded cable, with a drain
wire in contact with the foil. Both are connected at shielded 9 pin D
and grounded to the case. The other end however, is just a drain wire
into the AC/DC supply. Its a plastic box.
        The PCB is grounded in several locations to the bottom of the
metal enclosure, at roughly 37 cm (5 inches). At about 800 Mhz the thing
radiates above class B by 3 or 4 dB. If I remove one of the ground
points the signal drops 5 to 8 dB. Re-ground and its up, unground and
its down. Guess, I should feel lucky. I can remove the ring and via so
that it doesn't get grounded there and the problem is gone. I just get
real nervous with that answer, but it works so the engineer boss is not
to crazy about making any mods.
        Gary