John,

I have no objection to the house and arrow symbol meaning "indoor use only"
being made an official 417 symbol, but I can forsee no use for it.

I would not want to disturb the IP scheme already in place using the IEC
60529 for Ingress Protection (IP).  No marking is already established as
meaning inadequate IP.

There will be no improvement in understanding between the symbol and the IP
marking because the use of one excludes the use of the other - or am I
missing something?

I am essentially satisfied - remembering that my experience is almost all
limited to ITE and electronic sub-assemblies where someone following me is
concerned with the enclosure.

I am also in agreement with Rich Nute's earlier comment, "So, it would seem
to me that outdoor products should be identified; if not specifically
identified for outdoor use, then the product is for indoor use."

Lou Aiken, LaMer LLC
27109 Palmetto Drive
Orange Beach, AL
36561 USA