To:  Agilent Technologies and Hewlett-Packard:

  The administrators of the IEEE emc-pstc listserver
  apologize to Agilent Technologies and Hewlett-Packard
  for the derogatory remarks recently posted to this
  listserver.

  We take every effort to maintain a high level of
  professionalism in postings.  Because of our high-
  level expectations, we do not moderate the postings.
  Occasionally, some inappropriate content is posted,
  and we immediately notify our subscribers and seek
  to quench any further inappropriate content.

  We did notify our subscribers.  Unfortunately, a
  number of inappropriate remarks were posted before
  our notice was fully distributed.

  On this occasion, as in other similar occastions,
  some of our subscribers send us private responses
  supporting our action.  While we wish these actions
  were not necessary, we do find that these actions
  generally help to improve the level of professionalism.

  We believe the remarks were personal opinions and
  did not represent employers' views.

  We will amend our rules, sent to each new subscriber,
  to clarify that such remarks are out of order.

  If any subscriber wishes to discuss this matter
  further, please do so via private e-mail to the
  administrators.

  On behalf of all administrators,
  Dave Heald
  co-Administrator, IEEE emc-pstc listserver