Hjalmar:

The only calibration performed on police radar guns that I am aware of is
verification of the Doppler shift response. This is done by whacking a
factory-supplied tuning fork, and holding the tines in the radar beam. The
vibrating tines reflect a Doppler-shifted signal, and the gun display
counter is adjusted to read the appropriate speed. For the US market, the
only tuning forks I have ever seen were designated for 55 MPH. To
independently verify the calibration, you could measure the audio frequency
of the tuning fork and relate that to peak velocity of the tuning fork tine.
(I'm not certain, but, IIRC, the velocity of the tine should also be 55 MPH.
Maybe we should dig out our high-school Physics book.)

AFAIK, no measurements are made on such interesting things as RF power
output, beam width, range, multipath rejection or rejection of undesired
signals. Further, I don't know about Iceland, but in the USA, I would want
"malpractice" insurance if I was "certifying" the performance of devices
that regularly served as trial evidence. Who would want to enter a market
like that?

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis