Hello group,

I am a novice to medical grade electrical equipment requirements
so it is quite likely my query is one that has received responses
on this forum time and time again. You will be pleased to note that
I received the 'relevant sections' of the standard EN 60601 this
morning, and the Forklift truck that dropped them off has left the
premises (so I jest, but they might as well have been delivered by
Forklift!.. I didn't realise the standard was that size! ).

Query

Are there any UL standards I should be looking at in conjunction
with EN 60601?

I have been looking at commercially available medical grade PSU's
and I find the 5-way DIN connector extensively used. Is this the
preferred connector? If so which standard should I be looking at to
design the mating part? If not, is there a section of the standard
which recommends connector types?

The 5-way DIN connector from different manufacturers appears to have
the same pin assignments. Is the metallic ring around the pins assigned
a function such as Earth etc? No manufacturer I have looked at seems
to have this explained.

If the ring around the 5-way DIN is not used for earthing (grounding)
is there a requirement for DC powered equipment to be earthed, and if
so, how is this achieved?

I need to include an indicator (l.e.d.) for a 'power on' condition. Does
EN 60601-1, Clause 6.7 apply ( i.e. Red, Yellow, Green and other
for such a function )?.

Your help is much appreciated, and thanx in advance.

Best regards

- Chris Chileshe
- Ultronics Ltd

(Own views only etc etc)