From: POWELL, DOUG [mailto:doug.pow...@aei.com]
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2003 4:57 PM
To: EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
Subject: Bad Fuse vs. Good Fuse

Hello all,

Recently, in my company, we've been discussing what exactly constitutes a good
or bad fuse.  In this industry we often hear that the trouble with a defective
product was, "the fuse was bad."  I occurred to me that the fuse is not bad,
it performed exactly intended.  In fact if the problem that caused the fuse to
"operate" is still present, then the fuse is still good even though it is now
an open circuit.  The only time it can be a bad fuse is if it did not operate,
resulting in shock or a fire.

I have now have my ears tuned-in to this concept of a "bad fuse" and find it
is commonly used all over the industry.  In fact you can go to any number of
websites that provide trouble shooting notes, and find instructions on how you
can measure a bad fuse from a good fuse using an Ohm meter, photos included.
And some of these instructions are from reputable manufacturers.  Another term
often used is "defective fuse", which in some way sounds more scientific, but
is still fundamentally wrong.

I recently saw a newspaper article that gave the explaination why electrical
service was lost for over 100,000 people as a bad fuse.  An investigation was
under way to determine why the fuse went bad.  This is a little like hearing
the technologically uninitiated say "it must be a short somewhere", when the
television set stops working.

Maybe I am finicky, but this affects how companies view real product defects.
When the "defect" is the bad fuse, then the real problem may be covered up.
Often the answer is, increase the fuse size to prevent nuisance trips.  The
risk, of course, is that for every incremental increase in fuse value, you
increase the risk of fire proportionally.

Any thoughts or experiences?

BTW - To all US citizens in the group, have a relaxing Memorial Day weekend.

-doug

Douglas E. Powell
Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Fort Collins, CO 80535 USA

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.