Gerald, Richard, All
       Ok, I have to chime in here. You do not need a Notified Body when there
is a Harmonized Standard published in the OJ. I understand that the frequency
is not harmonized (france because of their Military band), but there is a
harmonized standard and therefore no Notified Body is needed, period. The point
of the Notified body and number on the form is when there is no harmonized
standard and at this point I don't see how that could happen with respect to
Short Range Devices (SRDs) since the publication of the three generic standards
EN 300 220, EN 300 330 and EN 300 440 covers basically 9 kHz to 40 GHz SRDs.

Europa's web site has more information on this at

http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/rtte/infor.htm

Harmonised standards

The easiest route to demonstrate compliance with the Directive is to comply
with Harmonised Standards. For this Directive these are developed mostly by
ETSI. Some safety and health standards have been developed by CENELEC. The 3rd
European Standardisation Organisation (CEN), doesn’t cover this sector. These
standards are developed upon a request from the European Commission and once
adopted are published by the European Commission in the Official Journal of the
European Union (OJEU).

Notified bodies

When harmonised standards aren’t available or when a manufacturer considers
them inappropriate for his product, he must seek the opinion of an independent
3rd party, a notified body. These are appointed by the Member States after
having proven that they have the relevant expertise to provide such an opinion.
Although a Notified Body has various responsibilities under the Directive, the
manufacturer (or authorised representative) always remains responsible for the
compliance of the equipment.

Larry K. Stillings
Compliance Worldwide, Inc.
357 Main Street
Sandown, NH 03873
(603) 887 3903 Fax 887-6445
www.complianceworldwide.com

Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message.  If
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.  Please advise immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
given nor endorsed by it.