I have always related arcing to having end-points: having at
least two electrodes and involving electrical conduction.

Arc \Arc\ ([aum]rk), v. i. [imp. & p. p. {Arcked}
([aum]rkt); p. pr. & vb. n. {Arcking}.] (Elec.) To form a
voltaic arc, as an electrical current in a broken  or
disconnected circuit.

Sparking, I have always related to high temperature ejecta
which may or may not be related to electrical conduction.

Spark \Spark\, v. i. (Elec.) To produce, or give off,
sparks, as a dynamo at the  commutator when revolving under
the collecting brushes.

Spark \Spark\, n. [OE. sparke, AS. spearca; akin to D.
spark, sperk; cf. Icel. spraka to crackle, Lith.
sprag["e]ti, Gr. ? a bursting with a noise, Skr. sph?rj to
crackle, to thunder. Cf. {Speak}.] 1. A small particle of
fire or ignited substance which is emitted by a body in
combustion.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager