From: John Allen [ mailto:john.al...@era.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:49 AM
To: 'Gibling, Vic'; 'drcuthb...@micron.com'; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: fan question

Hi Folks

In the days when I was testing professional disk/tape systems regularly for
HP, I often gave them "a very hard time" by blocking the fan(s), sealing the
enclosure slots with masking tape and then running the worst case duty cycle
in a "test corner" until temperatures stabilised.

Dependent on whether or not it stayed with the normal or abnormal limits I
would then throw in the worst case component faults.

Sounds very vicious, but is a good way of rapidly determining the weak
points from a safety standards perspective, and you can then investigate
these in more detail as required. If, however, there are no weak points then
this approach substantially reduces the overall time for testing as you have
effectively combined all the worst case tests into a much shorter test
regime.

Also a good pointer as to whether you might get reliability problems due to
high ambient temperatures as if the equipment continues to function
throughout then it gives you an idea of the operating margins in more
"normal" conditions!

John Allen

Question: During a "locked fan rotor" test do other single-faults have to be
invoked?

    Dave Cuthbert
    Micron Technology