David, et al,

I just learned that a toroid core is wound from a single strip of metal,
like a coiled clock spring, one continuous piece. But whether this one
is welded, I cannot say. My guess is probably not. As for impregnation,
I do not think so. The construction details I saw describe core, core
caps, insulation layers, winding wires, and the core potting material.
Nothing at all about varnish or impregnation. The windings are covered
with an overall insulation wrap so I cannot see how tight they may be.
These are all interesting questions and we will be talking with the
vendor after the first of the year to go over these and other
construction details.

Roger McCoy raises the question of the center bolt being a shorted turn
since it passes through the core and electrically connects to the metal
box on either side of the transformer. That box surrounds the core just
like a winding turn would do. My question is, is it usual practice to
isolate this bolt electrically from the metal chassis, say by a fiber or
plastic washer? The bolt is certainly isolated electrically from the
core and windings by the core potting material.

Once again, I am amazed at the depth of the discussion this list can
generate. My heartfelt thanks to all participating.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Scott

David Greig wrote:

>I should have added that the most probable cause of noise besides lamination,
is the mmf between loaded windings.

>Are the windings tightly constrained or impregnated?
>
>Best Regards
>
>David Greig

against, given that any impregnation will be more

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com