John,

In my experience... For part 15, the FCC rules always make reference to
the AC Mains connection.  There is no reference in rules to making
measurments of DC conducted Emissions that I am aware of.  This stands
in contrast to the EU standards that do in fact indicate conducted
limits on DC power, as well as many signal/communications cables.

For FCC, under the new DOC rules, FCC + FCC = FCC, if you test with a
representative configuration, the device is declared compliant in all
configurations.   In practice this isn't likely to be 100% effective,
however it would seem excessive to make a USB device comply with AC
Mains limits on its DC power cable when the computer is known to have
very good filtering in the 150k-30MHz range.  The same can't be said for
devices such as USB Hubs, where a simple class 2 supply is powering the
USB device with limited if any filtering.

Clif

Clifton Brick
Compliance, Safety and Patent Engineer
Invisible Technologies, Inc.