Ken, I can't say what I'm about to relate is what happened to you, but it
might be.

I had doubts about cable factors programmed into an EMI receiver; you can't
GET -dB loss!  So I had the test engineer repeat cable attenuation.  It was
not possible to get plausible numbers in the microwave ranges until all the
coax that had been 1) bent too tightly, 2) stepped on or 3) caught in a
chamber door, was replaced.  Oh yes, the N connectors had to be properly
assembled first.

Above, oh, 6 GHz, even a slight crease was enough to introduce reflections
that made things look funny.    And yes, we had to use a small diameter
semi rigid coax for the upper reaches.

Cortland
KA5S

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html