        From: Joe Randolph <j...@randolph-telecom.com>
        Subject: Re: Need help with safety compliance for a low power, 150 volt
circuit inside a cell phone
        To: ri...@ieee.org
        Cc: "Emc-Pstc" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
        Date: Wednesday, December 15, 2010, 11:45 PM

        Rich, Gary, Brian:

        Thanks for your comments and questions.  This is very helpful.

        Just to clarify, I'm not concerned about the isolation barrier between
the
        high voltage circuit and the surface of the LCD screen.  I'm concerned
        about having to provide isolation between the high voltage circuit and
the
        SELV circuit to which it is connected.

        If the cell phone were a complete, stand-alone device, it would be
possible
        to simply insulate the entire housing, so that none of the internal
        circuits are accessible.  However, this cell phone (like most others)
has a
        USB port and a headset port.  I think this pretty much requires that
        the  internal circuitry to which these ports connect must be treated as
        SELV circuit.  Using this interpretation, the situation can be
summarized
        as follows:

        1) The high voltage circuit is directly connected, without isolation,
to a
        SELV circuit.
        2) The high voltage circuit does not appear to meet the criteria for a
        limited current circuit.

        I appreciate Rich's insightful comments about whether item #2  is
really
        true, and I will revisit that question with some more analysis and
        testing.  However, if both #1 and #2 remain true, I need to determine
how
        to proceed.

        The consensus view seems to be that I should apply single-fault testing
per
        clause 2.2.4.  Rich's question about what the potential current path
would
        be has bothered me as well.  I'm not sure what sort of scenarios to
test
        for, but there may be some sort of scenario involving the USB port
and/or
        headset port that could create a path through the body.  I think I will
        need to show that under any single-fault condition, the voltages that
        appear on the USB and headset ports remain within SELV limits.

        Does this sound correct?

        Joe Randolph
        Telecom Design Consultant
        Randolph Telecom, Inc.
        781-721-2848 (USA)
        http://www.randolph-telecom.com

> [...]
        >proves that no isolation is required between 3.7 V and
        >150 V.  This is application of 2.2.4.
        >
        >Third comment:  Study both the circuit and the
        >construction to determine a current path through the
        >body, for both normal operating conditions, and single-
        >fault conditions.
        >
        >If you want to talk further about this, give me a
        >call.
        >

        >Best wishes for a Merry Christmas,
        >Rich
        >
        >858-592-2620
        >

        >On 12/14/2010 18:18, Joe Randolph wrote:
        >>Hello All:
        >>
        >>I have been asked to suggest a UL/EN 60950 compliance method for a low
        >>power, high voltage circuit that resides inside a cell phone. The
        >>circuit activates a piezo-electric transducer that physically vibrates
        >>the LCD display at about 300 Hz in 30 mS bursts to provide the
sensation
        >>of a key "click" when the user touches a virtual key on the touch
        >>screen. Note that what the user contacts is the physical vibration,
not
        >>the actual electrical signal that activates the piezo transducer.
        >>Following are some general characteristics of the driver circuit for
the
        >>piezo transducer:
        >>
        >>* A non-isolated DC/DC converter powered from the 3.7V cell phone
        >>battery generates a 150 VDC driver supply that will deliver about 5 mA
        >>into a 2K ohm load.
        >>* The 300 Hz AC output of the driver will deliver about 4 mA RMS into
        >>2K ohm load.
        >>* Both the 150 VDC supply and the 300 Hz AC output share the same
        >>circuit reference node with the rest of the phone circuits.
        >>* This circuit reference node is normally floating with respect to
earth
        >>ground, but it can become grounded through the USB port.
        >>

        >>I'm pretty familiar with 60950 and the standard compliance methods for
        >>the various circuits that appear in ITE equipment. However, this
        >>particular circuit does not fit neatly into any of the standard
categories.

        >>A brute-force compliance analysis would classify this circuit as a
        >>hazardous circuit, and would require an isolation barrier between this
        >>circuit and any SELV circuits, such as the USB and headset ports on
the
        >>phone. The voltage is too high to meet the definition of TNV-2, and
the
        >>current output, while very small, is too high to qualify as a Limited
        >>Current Circuit.
        >>
        >>My sense is that it may be possible to show compliance by using
        >>single-fault testing to demonstrate that under fault conditions, all
        >>user-accessible points remain within SELV limits. In particular, I'm
        >>looking at the wording of clause 2.2.4, "Connection of SELV Circuits
        >>Other Circuits."
        >>
        >>I have never attempted to apply the method of 2.2.4 to a product, so
I'm
        >>looking for feedback on whether the method is appropriate for this
        >>application. Any other suggestions or insights would be most welcome.
        >>
        >>It seems to me that this type of situation may come up in other
        >>applications that use high voltage at very low currents, such as CCFL
        >>backlights, EL backlights, and possibly camera flashes.
        >>

        >>Thanks,
        >>
        >>Joe Randolph
        >>Telecom Design Consultant
        >>Randolph Telecom, Inc.
        >>781-721-2848 (USA)
        >>j...@randolph-telecom.com
        >>http://www.randolph-telecom.com <http://www.randolph-telecom.com/>

emc-pstc

        http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/
        Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to
that URL.

        List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

        Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>