This message has been converted via the evaluation version of
Transend Migrator. Use beyond the trial period specified in
your Software Evaluation Agreement is prohibited. Please contact
Transend Corporation at (650) 324-5370 or sales.i...@transend.com
to obtain a license suitable for use in a production environment.
Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
The output of a Class 2/LPS circuit does not have the voltage or energy to
be a shock or ignition risk as long as that voltage is used without any
changes.  I could design a circuit with an inverter and step-up transformer
that would give me a hazardous voltage.  The Class 2 limit is 100 W.  In
theory, I could get 1000 VAC RMS at 100 mA.  Even with losses due
efficiency limits, there would be enough current to kill somebody.

I will say that in general, if you are using a power supply that meets the
60950 LPS or the NEC Class 2 limits (they are basically the same) then you
can hang circuits off the output without problems.  However, it still needs
to be investigated in a case by case basis.

Ted Eckert
APC-MGE
http://www.apc.com/

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC-MGE or Schneider Electric.
The speaker does not represent APC-MGE's or Schneider Electric's official
position on any matter.

             scott barrows
             <sbarrows9@yahoo.
             Sent by:                  Curt McNamara <mcnam...@umn.edu>,
             emc-p...@ieee.org         peter merguerian
                                       <pmerguerian2...@yahoo.com>
                                                                        cc
             05/02/2008 07:10          Benoit Nadeau <bnad...@matrox.com>,
             AM                        EMC-PSTC <emc-p...@ieee.org>
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Safety regulations

If the power supply is an NEC class 2 (vs a class II insulation system) or
an LPS construction, then there is not enough current available to be a
fire hazard.

Scott

Curt McNamara <mcnam...@umn.edu> wrote:
 What if a short occurred on one of these PCBs? Is there enough flammable
 material to constitute a fire hazard? Could a component get hot enough to
 melt connections and drop off, igniting material underneath the product?

 As you can see, there may be other cases to consider. Given that an event
 could initiate legal action, it may be wise to have a third party verify
 safety.

 Curt